Thursday, September 17, 2009

I LOVE Peaches!

What is not to love about peaches? Their color, their soft fuzz, the occasional dry leaf left hanging from the stem. It all makes me smile. As a child I would get in the car with Mom and drive through Sardine canyon to Brigham City, Peach Mecca. We would buy bushels of peaches to take home to Logan and bottle for a treat during the winter months. One autumn day I remember laying the backseat of the car with the peaches. I loved the way they smelled and their nice plump bodies. I wanted to climb into the bushel baskets and become part of the peaches. (The memory is so clear I can smell the peaches as I recall it.) Two peaches were held gently in my hands as I rubbed my cheeks with the soft fuzz. By the time we arrived home in Logan I had a rash on both cheeks! Its a funny memory to think how miserable I was with little pieces of peach fuzz stuck into my cheeks. They had become part of me.
I still love peaches. It's unconditional.
Peach season means peach cobbler.
Grandma Watts used to make such great peach cobbler. I'm so happy she took the time to teach me how to make cobbler. As summer days would shorten and school would begin I always had a nice peach cobbler to look forward to as an after-school snack. Either Mom or Grandma would treat me with a cobbler through the entire peach season. To this day, my favorite dessert is Peach Cobbler.
The past 3 years I've missed peach season because we always returned to Abu Dhabi before peaches were ready. This year I've loved making Peach Cobbler while wearing Grandma Watts' apron. I've also branched out to make home-made peach ice cream to serve with it...
Never enough peach on peach flavor.
The only bad thing about peaches..They signal the end of summer. The beginning of fall and the coming of winter months. We haven't seen winter for 3 years. Already we are feeling the cold seep into our bones. American football season is beginning and the kids are living an All-American lifestyle in a beautiful, clean, small town.
PS: I did freeze some peaches so I can enjoy the flavor of late summer sometime in the middle of winter.

Grandma Watts' Peach Cobbler
4-5 peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 C sugar
2 Tbl. Corn Starch
3/4 tsp. Cinnamon
3/4 C water
Mix and pour last 4 ingredients over peaches in a casserole pan
(Grandma always made it in a tin bread pan but I've started making it in a ceramic casserole dish)
Be sure the liquid mixture comes to the top of the sliced peaches.

Mix separately:
1 C Flour
1/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 heaping tsp. Baking Powder
2 heaping Tbl. shortening
Cut into a grainy mixture and add milk to make a dough type consistency
Drop mixture on top of peach mixture, covering completely.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. or until golden brown.




No comments: