Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Final Missive from Abu Dhabi

I know, I know, I should be packing for the 5 of us to catch a plane later tonight. We are one of the first families to depart for the summer holiday. This has been an interesting experience, saying good-bye at the end of another school year. More friends have been made and many will be missed next year upon our return.
It was a tearful good-bye as I said good-bye to Cindy, Barb and Terra this morning. I didn't get to see Trish. We all said good-bye to Liz halfway through the school year. Sad as it is to say farewell, I have come to the conclusion that my tears of sadness seem ungrateful. For to have met these women and to be able to call them friends and to take with me a piece of them now, is much greater than the sadness of having never met them at all. Once again I am reminded that to know true joy requires sorrow. Friends are a blessing, just one of many that have come from this experience of living abroad. I am learning to appreciate the moment I am in, and people I share that moment with. To live in the moment is a skill I needed to develop and still struggle to remember. Saying good-bye to loved ones always conjures up memories of laughter and fun times spent together. Sadness comes from realizing we won't have more of those moments, with those people, for a while. It's twisted how I want more. I have to remind myself that those moments are a blessing in and of themselves. Having met those individuals and shared a space in time with them should bring joy and gratitude rather than a selfish, greedy longing for more. While I struggle with the sadness of saying good-bye to friends I feel great joy in knowing I have loved ones waiting for me back home. Soon enough we will be having that great airport scene, the fun one, of arrival! I will surely be living in that moment and soaking it up like a sponge. In a flash, the sorrow of farewells will strike in August and we will be heading back to other joyful greetings on this end.
Life is just a cycle of joys and sorrows. Fortunately, our family has been blessed with many more joys than sorrows. My wish is that I will be grateful for both because I cannot have one without the other. All these moments must be cherished.
Over and out for now..More later from Utah.

2 comments:

shannon said...

Hooray!!!
See you soon!
xoxo

Jenn said...

Terri--

It's been so fun to keep up with the happenings in your family over the last year! I can't believe how big your kids are getting-- SCARY!!! :) They're cute & it looks like you guys are having the experience of a life time! We'd love to catch up with you guys if you get a minute in the short time you're in Utah. Welcome home :)

Jenn Gale